A person must obtain the following qualifications and fulfill the conditions in order to use the designation ‘Registered Veterinary Technician’ or ‘Registered Veterinary Technologist’ or the initials ‘RVT’.
1. Be a graduate from a program of study that has been approved by the Directors.
2. Be a member in good standing of the OAVT: pay membership dues each year, including errors and omissions insurance which protects you against liability negligence in performing the duties of your profession.
3. Write the Veterinary Technician Examination (VTNE) recognized by the OAVT Board of Directors. You will need to write this examination, if you wish to:
To qualify for the VTNE you must be:
To register for the VTNE, go directly to the Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) web site (see link below) and apply directly online and submit your fee directly to that organization. VTNE registration, information, sample test, study guide
and a list of reference books for study material are located on the AAVSB website. Click the button below for details about the VTNE.
Once your application and eligibility have been processed and approved, you will receive an "Authorized-to-Test (ATT) letter from the Professional Examination Service (PES). This letter explains how to make an examination appointment. Click the button below to visit the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB) website.
4. Successfully complete an information workshop prescribed by the Directors on professional ethics and the regulatory environment.
5. Produce evidence that she or he has not been convicted of a criminal offence. Please contact your local police station for information regarding police checks.